Monday, November 23, 2009

How I wish people could hear me talk about them when they're not there ...

How I've always wished that. Because as awkward as I may be in your presence, and how tactless my efforts at compliments may come across, I am REALLY good at complimenting people when they are not in front of me to make me feel nervous/intimidated/awkward/self-conscious ...

I was at the thirty-year anniversary for my undergraduate program this weekend, and I started talking with a girl that interviewed with Amie to work at LCT the past couple of years. Amie and I have talked about this girl, and I know that Amie loves her, so I try to motivate her to keep pursuing her relationship with the theatre.

Anyway, I was in heaven talking to this girl, who happens to metacognate in spirals more naturally than any non-graduate student I think I've ever met. She's in the beautifully vulnerable and simultaneously exciting point in her life where she wants to do a million different things. As I was talking with her, these were some of the things that came up:

  • "No, Amie would love to talk with you even if she doesn't work at LCT anymore. She's awesome like that."
  • "Amie would LOVE to hear you talking this way. She's such a go-getter, and it's awesome that you're the same way."
  • "I know, doesn't everyone at LCT love each other so much? At first I was a little weirded out when everything Amie said was so 'warm and fuzzy,' because I was so not like that, but she's softened me up so much, and I really needed that."
  • "You want to work in London? Well, Amie's done that too! You need to keep in touch with her -- she is a great connection to have."

I left the conversation feeling rejuvenated and ready to hop on a plane with Cicely, pick Amie up, and then hop on another plane to Scotland so that we could all be together again. I realized I am luckyluckyluckyluckyLUCKY to know so many amazing people. Because had community-based work come up, I would have bragged just as much on Cicely. Had international connections come up, you know I would have bragged on Amanda!

Point is, you girls are sensational. As much as I suck at blogging, facebooking, calling, writing, and all things based in keeping in touch, know that this is not a November, turkey-induced thankfulness that I am feeling. I feel thankful for each one of you each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Liz, and just the other day I was talking about the show you just directed and how amazing it was ( or at least what I knew from pictures, reviews and cicely's blog post) ....I hope your ears were burning!!!

    Is she ( I forgot her name, but I know what she looks like) going to be at SETC or apply this summer? Feel free to give her my email address if she has any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily is definitely going to SETC. I will let her know -- she'll be thrilled!

    Yeah, my show was awesome. And I can say that because it was all my kid' doing. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete